- A nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry.
- We seek to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action.
- To accomplish these goals, we invite people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses together in partnership with families in need.
- Habitat for Humanity was founded in 1976 by Millard Fuller, along with his wife, Linda.
- Today, we have built over 350,000 houses around the world, providing more than 1.75 million people in 3,000 communities with safe, decent, affordable shelter.
- Through volunteer labor and donations of money and materials, Habitat builds and rehabilitates simple, decent houses alongside our homeowner (partner) families.
- Habitat is not a giveaway program. In addition to a down payment and monthly mortgage payments, homeowners invest hundreds of hours of their own labor (sweat equity) into building their Habitat house and the houses of others.
- Habitat houses are sold to partner families at no profit and financed with affordable loans.
- The homeowners’ monthly mortgage payments are used to build still more Habitat houses.
Well, this is what we did.
From 8h30am to 3h00pm.
Under the hot hot hot hot sun.
Not the best activity for someone with a hurt finger.
Needless to say, at 3h05 I was at a walk in clinic.
But it didn't have an X-ray machine so I was sent to another clinic.
That had moved to a different address.
But eventually my finger was looked at.
And yeah, it is broken.
Tomorrow morning I am going to Raleigh Hand Center.
But I was still home before 5h00pm.
In time to go to the gym with Kel.
And watch 10 min of Avatar while biking.
And stop at the grocery store on the way home.
and get a surprise for a friend who came over but never saw the surprise.
And have dinner and a beer and shower.
And the sun is still out.
My finger hurts.
Brushing my hair hurts.
And the night goes on...